Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Summers heat

We have all seen the idea of milk jugs of frozen water to keep horses water cool on the heat of the summer, and it works other then my milk jugs always crack after the first freeze and thaw, I started searching for a better "ice cube" and found the plastic jugs we get cat litter in worked amazing. I washed them out very well, filled with water and put in deep freeze took about 24 hrs to freeze solid but as summer went on I added 3 more for a total of 4 and just rotated them 1 by 1 and it seemed to keep our 100gal water tank cool.

I also freeze bottles of gateraid to add 5 gallon buckets I carry out to the pasture to encourage horses to stay hydrated!

And on super hot n humid nebraska days when the horses are locked in the dry lot and soaked in sweat they get grain cubes, I use the plastic containers lunch meat comes in fill half way with grain and 2/3 with water, I usually throw in some electrolytes also put lid on and throw in freezer I keep 2-4  premade in freezer once it starts heating up.

No comments:

Post a Comment